2006 November 6 … St. Thomas News

Eucharistic Celebration is Saturday, November 11 at 5 pm. Weekday masses in St. Thomas are at 9 am. On Tuesday mass was for Kenneth Rutt and on Thursday mass is for Leona Mager.

The Jim Walker family made the Twin City Marathon a family affair. They call it the “The Most Beautiful Urban Marathon in the United States” and Jim participated on October 1, this year, along with Anne Margaret Hanson of Eden Prairie and Jill Walker of Minneapolis. The marathon is 26.2 miles and this is Jim’s fifth! His wife, Mary Margaret waits at the end to give hugs.

Congratulations to Megan and Jeff! Megan Burns, daughter of Ron and Carolyn, and Jeff Boelter, son of Gordy and Laura, of Henderson, have been friends forever…and on this, their seventh anniversary as sweethearts, … have become engaged to be married! Yesssss!

We had perfect weather as many friendly and familiar faces from the surrounding areas gathered in the St. Thomas Church parlors for the Harvest Bingo Celebration on Sunday. Eighteen turkeys were given away: Mike Stenzel, Tracy Christiansen, Roy Richter, Helen Reinhardt, Theresa Bromley, Max Sullivan, Katie May, Katherine Bendzick, Mary Kahle, Jerry Richter, Donna McDonald, Grace Pribyl, Mary Anne Tuma, Jenny Rutt, Suzanne Trimbo, and Leona Adams were the winners. Cash prizes were donated by ‘Simon Brick and Stone’: Mason Simon - $15, Steven Halloran - $25, Aggie Gill - $25, Mike Stenzel won $50, Catherine Retka and Barb Boisen each won $50. Among the other winners were Sara Steghen, Rich Bromley, Vera Stephens, Harvey Dunkin and Kelly Stenzel. Mary Hanlon won the lovely ‘weekday’ towel set donated by Catherine Retka…and the big winner for $100 was Max Sullivan. Max, also, won raffle drawing prizes for three granddaughters, Emily and Anna Sullivan and Siri Olsen. Dave Connelly called the Bingo, assisted by Aaron Halloran, a nice lunch was served… and a good time was had by all!

Diane Burns Palmstein and Vangie Burns enjoyed watching granddaughter/great granddaughter, Courtney Elfstrand, of Glencoe, as she participated in the Track and Field State Meet in Northfield on Saturday. Meghan Middlestadt, of Blue Earth, also participated in the cross country tournament. Meghan’s the granddaughter of Alice Burns Hoehn. Both Courtney and Meghan are…three generations from St. Thomas.

David and Krista Hoehn Risley, of Beesley, New Jersey are the proud parents of Charlette Rose “Charlie” on November 1,…and Charlie’s four generations from St. T.

Correction on Tim’s email: timothy.j.oconnell@us.army.mil (No big T)

Happy Anniversary to our good friend, Bill Sirek and his lovely wife, Sharon, who have been happily married for 29 years, on the 29th of October … and have enjoyed last weekend in Duluth.

The hunting season’s in full swing…orange and camouflage everywhere for most of the day…Coming home from my folks on Sunday, after the Harvest Festival …and after dark I came upon three deer in the middle of the road. They stood there like cows, deer usually run when one gets close, but these three just looked at me. No lights behind me, so I stopped the car and just watched them for awhile. They quietly and confidently swished their tails, slowly moseyed to the side of the road and ate at the ditch…and then, they were gone.

Have a good week, folks.