Job Description for Creation Management Volunteer Positions
Overview: If you’re looking to make a difference, this is definitely the volunteer position for you! Habitat for Humanity of South Central Minnesota is a non-profit, Christian housing ministry dedicated to building simple, decent, and affordable housing with and for moderate to low-income families in need in South Central Minnesota. A Creation Management volunteer provides skilled and unskilled construction tasks (framing, insulating, painting, siding, tiling, and more) in support of the Construction Manager, Volunteer Coordinator, and Habitat homeowners.
Service Impact: Creation Management volunteers impact our mission by eliminating substandard housing within our communities. Make a difference by performing a variety of construction tasks while experiencing the satisfaction of building a home for a family in need from the ground up. Have fun, gain new experiences, provide input, and feel appreciated!
1. Assist in preparing the construction site for daily construction activities:
a. Review work plans with Construction Manager to determine required materials and tools.
b. Assist in retrieving appropriate materials and tools from the warehouse and transport them to the designated site.
2. Serve as a member of construction crew on the construction site:
a. Perform various construction tasks as assigned by the Construction Manager.
b. Work cooperatively with volunteers and homeowners.
3. Lead crews of volunteers and homeowners on the construction site:
a. Teach appropriate installation of materials and use of tools.
b. Provide feedback and inspection to volunteer crew tasks to endure the job is completed correctly.
c. Facilitate a positive and supportive atmosphere for volunteers on the worksite.
4. Provide safety and volunteer orientation sessions for new volunteers.
5. Assist Volunteer Coordinator with work schedule.
a. Maintain volunteer contacts as necessary.
6. Attend and participate in staff meetings as necessary.
7. Attend Building/Land Acquisition committee meetings as necessary.
Time Commitment: Construction work is conducted year-round, Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., both outdoors and indoors. It’s your choice—Volunteer short-term, actively, or occasionally.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
• Computer skills, knowledge of Internet navigation and email.
• Demonstrate success in the leading and managing of people.
• Ability to manage multiple projects.
• Skill and ability to interact with volunteers, staff, external customers, contractors, subcontractors, third-party consultants, and vendors in an effective and professional manner.
• Some experience reading and understanding house plans.
• General knowledge of hand and power tools, construction sequence, and safety procedures.
• Public speaking ability/interest.
• Foreign language proficiency.
Supported By: Construction Manager, Volunteer Coordinator, and Habitat Homeowners.
• Gain new experiences, skills, and friendships.
• Work with caring and committed staff and volunteers.
• By volunteering, you open up a world of professional possibilities.
• Explore career possibilities without risk, and challenge yourself; all while volunteering for a great cause.
• Discover self-fulfillment and strengthen our community by supporting others.
• Keep your body and mind sharp by combining physical work with problem-solving skills.
To Apply: Please list a potential start date and email cover letter and resume to email@example.com; or mail to Habitat for Humanity of South Central MN, 1751 Bassett Drive, Mankato, MN 56001. For questions, please contact Kelli Hanson, Volunteer Coordinator, at 507-388-2081.