Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Norton Offline OP
Chatter Elite
OP Offline
Chatter Elite
Midday this week found the Honey and I shopping in Mankato and it went rather well for a change. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I still had to give her a good listening to when I left my cell phone in the car – “Why don’t you answer your cell phone? I’ve been trying to get a hold of you to tell you I was done shopping and here you are in the lingerie section. Drop that right now!” Later on in the car I got the how embarrassing lecture and the whole time I’m thinking stop the sneak attacks and maybe it wouldn’t be.

Next the discussion turned to - where to go for lunch. Ever since the Green Mill closed in Mankato it’s been a challenge for us, I sure miss that place. I recommended the Embassy Bar in St. Peter but Miss Instant Gratification couldn’t wait. (BTW – the Embassy is the best value around. Mention to the owner, Terry, how much you like the Henderson website and that Jeff Steinborn from Henderson is close personal friend to receive the extra large helping of fries at regular price.) After a short discussion the Honey came to the conclusion I would be trying out new Japanese restaurant, Shogun. It’s less stress when others can make your mind up for you.

For those that don’t know where Shogun is, it’s located across MN 22 from Wal Mart, in the strip mall that also has PetCo, Michaels, Old Navy, etc. The first impression on entering the restaurant was how open it was, which I guess is what one should expect for being in a strip mall. There were 7 customers in there, at three different tables in the same area. We were seated between the lone customer and the table of 4. All of us where in one area, a long cushioned bench with chairs across the tables from the bench. I could tell when we got seated the Honey wasn’t real impress with getting sandwiched in between two other tables when the whole place is wide open. I think I could have poked the guy next to me with a fork without leaning. I took notice that both sides of us were finishing up so we decided we wouldn’t ask to be moved. Nothing worse than complainers when trying to dine out.

We both ordered the Bento Box lunch special – mine was the shrimp teriyaki and the Honey ordered the beef teriyaki. We both started out with a salad, which was good with a very tasting dressing. Not sure what the dressing was, but it wasn’t anything typical. It paired very well with the Sake Martini I had, made with Minnesota’s very own Opulent vodka.

The Bento Box is a nice concept – it comes in a square dish (bowl?) with different square dishes inside of that with Shumai (which is a deep fried dumpling), rice, sushi, and the main course you ordered. When we got our order the waitress noticed what the Honey got chicken instead of beef and wanted to correct it, which I knew wasn’t going to happen. It really didn’t matter to hungry Honey. I thought my shrimp was real good and the Shumai was quite excellent. The hostess did apologize for the error and blamed the Sake from the night before for the cook’s error, which was funny. BTW – don’t order the house Merlot but do get the Sake Martini.

Overall, the meal was real good, ambience not to my liking, too wide open and seating too close to others. With that said, I would recommend you try it but keep in mind seating arrangements. Will I go back for lunch? Maybe, but next time hopefully when it’s lunch time we will end up at The Boulder Tap House or Tav on the Ave for lunch. Or maybe, if I’m lucky and can behave myself, we can go to the Embassy Bar for lunch.

Chatter Elite
Chatter Elite
"Still had to give her a good listening."

I love that. Nothing feels better than having held your tongue for some time only to finally get it off your chest and give her a good listening to set things straight.

Nice job. Enjoyed the review.

Moderated by  Norton 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Follow us on Facebook!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
4,099,297 Vikings Talk
1,048,659 Twins Talk
277,074 Kraut Shirt & I
263,711 College Hockey
191,573 College Hockey
175,211 Smoking Ban