2022 May 2 St. Thomas News
St. Anne’s Catholic Church in Le Sueur will have masses with Father Chris Shofner: Saturdays at 5:15p. m. and Sundays at 8 a. m. and 10:30 a. m.
Mass of Christian Burial for Nicole Muelken was held this weekend at Most Holy Redeemer in Montgomery with Father Niehaus officiating. Nicole, a 32 year-old beautiful Mom of two, London and Easton, and daughter of an inconsolable Diane Ruhland Muelken and Bradley Melken. Nicole’s Mom grew up on the St. Thomas side of Montgomery, the Clayton and Sylvia (Pelant) Ruhland farm. Our sympathies to Dianne, Joshua, London and Easton. Nicole’s siblings, Derek and Alice, Mitchal “the cowboy”, and nephew Sebastian, plus.
Visitation for Mary Byrne Matejcek will be on Friday, May 6th from 8-10, with a Memorial Mass of Christian Burial following at 10,with Father James Stiles, officiating, at St. Mary’s in Le Center. Mary grew up in the big brick house in St. Thomas, the daughter of Dick and Cecelia Byrne. I found their wedding picture among my Mother’s things years ago...never knew who she was, til she showed up at one of our St. Thomas Ladies Luncheons, A tiny lady with Irish spunk, but not quite as much as her sister Kay.
Mass of Christian Burial for Father Jerry Berger of Green Isle will be Saturday May 7th at 11 a.m. at St. Brendan’s Catholic Church. Visitation 4-7 on Friday and 2 hours before Mass on Saturday. Father Jerry’s ancestors furnished the land for the St. Thomas Church in Jessenland, the earliest settlers in the Jessenland area. Father is also known for writing “A History of St. Brendan’s Parish, The Village of Green Isle, and Minnesota’s First Irish Settlement...and being Father Ralph Hayden’s sidekick while he was here.
Enjoyed the annual roast at C.J Foskett’s home in Henderson where Dave Connelly was doing much of the cookin’. They had this game going “Chicken Roulette”. 12 Chicken drumsticks on the grill, 4 had very, VERY hot sauce on “em. Do not try this at home. Bob Graham and Wingnut were two of the winners and they got sick!
After singing at the Mankato Children’s Spring Concert on Sunday May 1st, in Christ Chapel at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Katelyn Landwer came running over after singing her heart out, excitedly “Oh Grandma, I love this group, It’s so much fun, we all love to sing and we sing as one!” Kate is 2 generations from St. Thomas.
Dropped in at Wing King near St. Peter after the Concert on Sunday. T.C. and Kathy were enjoying a late dinner. Frank Turek has been working there. Terry Turek’s lad on the Duane/Moore Branch of our St. Thomas Tree. He’ll tell you what’s good to order.
Not St. Thomas but: Mitchell Hall entertained at the Legion in Savage Friday evening. He called our attention to a long table of Connellys near the back wall...looking them over... none looked like our St. Thomas Connellys. Not being shy, this writer walked over and asked. None of them were shy either. They were having to much fun. There was Jane Connelly Smith, Mona Connelly Sharratt, Carla Connelly Linderholm...and about 17 more. They were excited to be talking to a “real St. Thomas newspaper lady”. Wow! Then, they started talking about Jerry, Johnny, Monica, Teri, Tim, Jeanette… “and yeah Anne”...and the Mom’s name is Mary... I finished with “Mary Catherine and Ray”. They squealed. “Oh, You’re Connollys?!”..The table got deathly quiet...except for one. A bit annoyed that I’d make such a mistake. “No! We’re Connellys” about as stern as Jeanette Connolly would have corrected me with “Connolly!” Evidently, years ago, one of these gals dated one of those witty Connolly lads. Greetings to all the Savage Connellys and the Belle Plaine/St. Thomas Connollys.
Naomi Judd died! Just how many out there have sang along with “Love can build a Bridge” or “Grandpa”?
We love our new friends, Treasure our old, Some like silver, Others like gold!.
Til next time God bless.